Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians sheds light on free agent strategy
That's the day NFL teams can begin contacting and negotiating with free agents and make qualifying offers to restricted free agents.
According to Arizona head coach Bruce Arians, the team's general manager, Steve Keim, will be busy calling players when the clock strikes 12:01.
"We probably have five," Arians told Doug and Wolf Friday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM when asked if there was a specific early target for the Cardinals. "Steve and I have the same philosophy, 'here it is, do you want it? I'm going to ask this guy in about a half an hour. If you don't want it, I'm going to ask him. If he wants it, you're out.'
"It's easy. We don't play games."
Of course, the second-year head coach didn't offer names of players the team is targeting, but did talk about areas where he'd like to see the Cardinals improve.
"I think we need to get bigger and stronger on both sides of line with more depth -- offensive line and defensive line. We need to get some depth because of our division -- you're going to win at the line of scrimmage in our division, you have to be physical," he said.
"And we can never, never stop getting speed, everywhere. Whether it be a linebacker, pass rusher, corner, safety or wide receiver."
Then there's the matter of the Cardinals bringing back free agents of their own. Arizona has 14 players in that category, but none more important to re-sign than veteran linebacker Karlos Dansby, who led the team with 122 total tackles and was named a second team All-Pro.
Arians knows how vital Dansby is to the Cardinals' defense.
"There's no doubt -- we offered Karlos a contract the day after the season ended," he said. "We're still in the negotiating process, but he's a major part because of what he brought to the table for us as a leader.
"We definitely would love to have him back."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!