Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 4:06 pm
Rumor: Suns talking with Spurs about Marcin Gortat deal
New info: Source says Spurs apparently interested in Greg Oden and may slow things on the Gortat side. Heat are also interested in Oden.— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
Shortly after selecting center Alex Len with the fifth pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, Phoenix Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said the team is not looking to trade incumbent Marcin Gortat.
"We're not looking to move him," McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "As you guys I'm sure know, Alex had foot surgery, and he's not ready to play.
"Marcin is one of our best players here. He's a core guy for us. He is one of the more athletic bigs in the league, he screens, he rolls, he finishes and he blocks shots."
That may have just been GM speak, or perhaps McDonough was telling the truth. Because while the Polish Machine is an effective player, his contract status along with the addition of Len makes him an ideal trade candidate.
As such, this rumor from Huffington Post sports columnist Jordan Schultz might be worth something.
Source: Spurs-Suns deal 4 Gortat would either be n a Splitter sign-and-trade or Diaw/filler. Suns get at least a 2014 1st rounder either way— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
New Suns GM Ryan McDonough LOVES Alex Len. Saw him in a gym when he was 17. Suns want to stockpile and Len can play immediately.— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
Gortat is coming off a foot injury that cut his 2012-13 season short after 61 games, but he averaged 11.1 points and 8.5 rebounds per contest. He is 29, though, and just may not fit into the team's plans going forward.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.