Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 4:06 pm
Rumor: Suns talking with Spurs about Marcin Gortat deal
New info: Source says Spurs apparently interested in Greg Oden and may slow things on the Gortat side. Heat are also interested in Oden.— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
Shortly after selecting center Alex Len with the fifth pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, Phoenix Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said the team is not looking to trade incumbent Marcin Gortat.
"We're not looking to move him," McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "As you guys I'm sure know, Alex had foot surgery, and he's not ready to play.
"Marcin is one of our best players here. He's a core guy for us. He is one of the more athletic bigs in the league, he screens, he rolls, he finishes and he blocks shots."
That may have just been GM speak, or perhaps McDonough was telling the truth. Because while the Polish Machine is an effective player, his contract status along with the addition of Len makes him an ideal trade candidate.
As such, this rumor from Huffington Post sports columnist Jordan Schultz might be worth something.
Source: Spurs-Suns deal 4 Gortat would either be n a Splitter sign-and-trade or Diaw/filler. Suns get at least a 2014 1st rounder either way— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
New Suns GM Ryan McDonough LOVES Alex Len. Saw him in a gym when he was 17. Suns want to stockpile and Len can play immediately.— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
Gortat is coming off a foot injury that cut his 2012-13 season short after 61 games, but he averaged 11.1 points and 8.5 rebounds per contest. He is 29, though, and just may not fit into the team's plans going forward.
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?