Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 4:06 pm
Rumor: Suns talking with Spurs about Marcin Gortat deal
New info: Source says Spurs apparently interested in Greg Oden and may slow things on the Gortat side. Heat are also interested in Oden.— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
Shortly after selecting center Alex Len with the fifth pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, Phoenix Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said the team is not looking to trade incumbent Marcin Gortat.
"We're not looking to move him," McDonough told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "As you guys I'm sure know, Alex had foot surgery, and he's not ready to play.
"Marcin is one of our best players here. He's a core guy for us. He is one of the more athletic bigs in the league, he screens, he rolls, he finishes and he blocks shots."
That may have just been GM speak, or perhaps McDonough was telling the truth. Because while the Polish Machine is an effective player, his contract status along with the addition of Len makes him an ideal trade candidate.
As such, this rumor from Huffington Post sports columnist Jordan Schultz might be worth something.
Source: Spurs-Suns deal 4 Gortat would either be n a Splitter sign-and-trade or Diaw/filler. Suns get at least a 2014 1st rounder either way— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
New Suns GM Ryan McDonough LOVES Alex Len. Saw him in a gym when he was 17. Suns want to stockpile and Len can play immediately.— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) July 1, 2013
Gortat is coming off a foot injury that cut his 2012-13 season short after 61 games, but he averaged 11.1 points and 8.5 rebounds per contest. He is 29, though, and just may not fit into the team's plans going forward.
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.