Updated Oct 31, 2012 - 3:55 pm
ESPN MLB analyst: Expect Justin Upton to remain with Diamondbacks
And if Justin Upton's name came up often in trade rumors during the season, you better believe it will be brought up again this winter, even if a deal never actually gets done.
When asked if he thinks Upton will be on the Diamondbacks roster when Spring Training begins, ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian said yes, but with a caveat.
"We know things change when everything gets to Spring Training," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "I just don't believe that they have been offered anything for him that would be enough to make a deal, and therefore it would be stupid to deal him at this point."
Upton is coming off an up-and-down season that saw him hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI. He dealt with a thumb injury for much of the season, and there are some who think it contributed to his down year.
If that's the case, Upton should come to Spring Training looking more like the MVP candidate he was supposed to be than the disappointment he was in 2012. And that, Kurkjian said, is what the Diamondbacks may need to see before making a decision on the right fielder.
"But I think the logical thing to do is just say 'alright, it was an abhorrent season, he wasn't himself, we're not sure why, this is baseball and these things happen all the time. Let's see what happens when he shows up.'"
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.