Updated Oct 31, 2012 - 3:55 pm
ESPN MLB analyst: Expect Justin Upton to remain with Diamondbacks
And if Justin Upton's name came up often in trade rumors during the season, you better believe it will be brought up again this winter, even if a deal never actually gets done.
When asked if he thinks Upton will be on the Diamondbacks roster when Spring Training begins, ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian said yes, but with a caveat.
"We know things change when everything gets to Spring Training," Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "I just don't believe that they have been offered anything for him that would be enough to make a deal, and therefore it would be stupid to deal him at this point."
Upton is coming off an up-and-down season that saw him hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI. He dealt with a thumb injury for much of the season, and there are some who think it contributed to his down year.
If that's the case, Upton should come to Spring Training looking more like the MVP candidate he was supposed to be than the disappointment he was in 2012. And that, Kurkjian said, is what the Diamondbacks may need to see before making a decision on the right fielder.
"But I think the logical thing to do is just say 'alright, it was an abhorrent season, he wasn't himself, we're not sure why, this is baseball and these things happen all the time. Let's see what happens when he shows up.'"
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.