Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 8:15 am
Montero on Trevor Bauer: 'He never wanted to listen'
It would be unfair to classify him as having "feuded" with the likes of Kirk Gibson and catcher Miguel Montero, but it's fair to speculate that his personality rubbed folks the wrong way, which eventually led to the pitcher being traded to Cleveland in the offseason.
With the 2013 campaign set to begin, Montero, who caught for Bauer, admitted it was not easy working with the young right-hander.
"It was tough," Montero told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo at FanFest Saturday. "When you get a guy like that and he thinks he's got everything figured out, it's just tough to commence and try to get on the same page with you."
Montero said the goal was to simplify things for the rookie, but the cerebral Bauer wanted no part of that.
"He would make it even harder," Montero said.
Bauer struggled in four starts with the D-backs, compiling a 1-2 record to go along with a 6.06 ERA. He walked 13 batters in 16.1 innings while striking out 17.
It would have been easier for the organization to work through the player's growing pains had he simply been easier to work with.
"Since day one in Spring Training I caught him and he killed me because he threw about 100 pitches the first day," Montero said, adding he told Bauer he should take it a bit slower and work on locating his fastball first before working on his breaking pitches.
"And he said 'yes', and the next time he threw I saw him doing the same thing," Montero said. "He never wanted to listen."
As one of the team leaders, Montero is a player who should probably be listened to. One of the game's better catchers, Bauer's unwillingness to work with him did not bode well for his future in the desert.
"He's got his ways, and it's tough to change it," Montero said. "Good luck to (Indians catcher) Carlos Santana there."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.