Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: Dodgers' money allows them to 'buy what they want'
Unfortunately, a D-backs slide has coincided with a Los Angeles Dodgers surge, and now the Snakes trail in the NL West for the first time in more than two months.
And with the trade deadline approaching and the Dodgers seemingly having the finances to acquire anyone they'd like, it would seem like the Diamondbacks are in a bit of a precarious position.
If the Dodgers keep spending, can the D-backs keep up?
"I think ultimately what ends up happening is if guys don't have options, you have to have places to put some of these guys that you're going to spend money on," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "There comes a point in time where even if you want to spend, where do you put it?
"You only have 25 guys that can go out there and play."
That is true, though it's worth noting the Dodgers roster is not entirely made up of All-Stars, so there is still work that can be done.
And with regards to his team, Towers said the Diamondbacks were in on the bidding for pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu, who is 8-3 with a 3.25 ERA this year, and also had interest in Cuban phenom Yasiel Puig. The Dodgers outspent everyone for their services, and are now reaping the dividends.
"When you have that wherewithal financially it doesn't mean you're the best scouting organization, just you have the wherewithal to go out and buy what you want," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.