Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: Dodgers' money allows them to 'buy what they want'
Unfortunately, a D-backs slide has coincided with a Los Angeles Dodgers surge, and now the Snakes trail in the NL West for the first time in more than two months.
And with the trade deadline approaching and the Dodgers seemingly having the finances to acquire anyone they'd like, it would seem like the Diamondbacks are in a bit of a precarious position.
If the Dodgers keep spending, can the D-backs keep up?
"I think ultimately what ends up happening is if guys don't have options, you have to have places to put some of these guys that you're going to spend money on," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "There comes a point in time where even if you want to spend, where do you put it?
"You only have 25 guys that can go out there and play."
That is true, though it's worth noting the Dodgers roster is not entirely made up of All-Stars, so there is still work that can be done.
And with regards to his team, Towers said the Diamondbacks were in on the bidding for pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu, who is 8-3 with a 3.25 ERA this year, and also had interest in Cuban phenom Yasiel Puig. The Dodgers outspent everyone for their services, and are now reaping the dividends.
"When you have that wherewithal financially it doesn't mean you're the best scouting organization, just you have the wherewithal to go out and buy what you want," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.