Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 5:56 pm
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian 'Thatcher can get outs down the stretch'
Kennedy struggled to a 3-8 record with a 5.23 ERA as the team has gone 2-10 in the right-hander's last 12 starts.
In return, the D-backs got a consistent left-handed specialist and a potential future closer from the Padres.
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo show discussing the Snakes' haul in the trade.
"They had to find someone for that bullpen and Thatcher gives them a left-hander to gets outs down the stretch," Kurkjian said.
Thatcher has a 2.50 ERA through his career in the second half.
This season, he has posted a 2.10 ERA in 50 games, striking out 29.
Most importantly, he has given up no runs in four games against the Los Angeles Dodgers this season, a team the D-backs trail by 3.5 games going into play on Wednesday.
The prospect acquired was Matt Stites, who has a 1.53 ERA in 144 appearances in the Padres' farm system since being drafted in 2011.
"The reliever they got, Matt Stites, throws really hard and could be a possibility," Kurkjian stated.
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.