Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 5:56 pm
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian 'Thatcher can get outs down the stretch'
Kennedy struggled to a 3-8 record with a 5.23 ERA as the team has gone 2-10 in the right-hander's last 12 starts.
In return, the D-backs got a consistent left-handed specialist and a potential future closer from the Padres.
ESPN analyst Tim Kurkjian was on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo show discussing the Snakes' haul in the trade.
"They had to find someone for that bullpen and Thatcher gives them a left-hander to gets outs down the stretch," Kurkjian said.
Thatcher has a 2.50 ERA through his career in the second half.
This season, he has posted a 2.10 ERA in 50 games, striking out 29.
Most importantly, he has given up no runs in four games against the Los Angeles Dodgers this season, a team the D-backs trail by 3.5 games going into play on Wednesday.
The prospect acquired was Matt Stites, who has a 1.53 ERA in 144 appearances in the Padres' farm system since being drafted in 2011.
"The reliever they got, Matt Stites, throws really hard and could be a possibility," Kurkjian stated.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.