Derrick Hall: Retaliation is a risky game to play
"You know it's going to happen, but what scares me is the safety of our players," Hall told Doug and Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Any time you're in a situation like that, you now that Braun is going to get hit. You know that Goldschmidt is going to get hit. I don't want a superstar to get hurt because there's retaliation going on."
Hall said he still gets concerned every time it happens since there is no written rule about retaliation and it seems to be a case not of if it happens, but when.
"The reaction from the opposition is hit their superstar. I don't like that, of course I'm worried," Hall said. "You're going to go after somebody, but in baseball, I worry about it. If someone's been hit already, and Goldschmidt's on deck, I'm thinking ‘please don't hit Paul.'"
He dissuaded any notion that hitting Braun had anything to do with the 2011 divisional series, which the Diamondbacks lost to the Brewers. He added that retaliation is a fickle unwritten rule, but if it must happen, the pitch needs to be below the neck.
"We know it's a part of the game, it's always been a part of the game. It's something we're all aware of, but you look now, there's some severe penalties," Hall said. "What's awesome about it is no one got hurt."
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.