Derrick Hall: Retaliation is a risky game to play
"You know it's going to happen, but what scares me is the safety of our players," Hall told Doug and Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Any time you're in a situation like that, you now that Braun is going to get hit. You know that Goldschmidt is going to get hit. I don't want a superstar to get hurt because there's retaliation going on."
Hall said he still gets concerned every time it happens since there is no written rule about retaliation and it seems to be a case not of if it happens, but when.
"The reaction from the opposition is hit their superstar. I don't like that, of course I'm worried," Hall said. "You're going to go after somebody, but in baseball, I worry about it. If someone's been hit already, and Goldschmidt's on deck, I'm thinking ‘please don't hit Paul.'"
He dissuaded any notion that hitting Braun had anything to do with the 2011 divisional series, which the Diamondbacks lost to the Brewers. He added that retaliation is a fickle unwritten rule, but if it must happen, the pitch needs to be below the neck.
"We know it's a part of the game, it's always been a part of the game. It's something we're all aware of, but you look now, there's some severe penalties," Hall said. "What's awesome about it is no one got hurt."
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.