Arizona State Sun Devils unveil new helmet for game against Notre Dame
The Arizona State Sun Devils will be wearing helmets unlike no other when they face the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Saturday.
Monday after coach Todd Graham's press conference the team unveiled a short video of the new uniforms and cornerback Osahon Irabor walked out in full uniform.
"We want our players to be the best, first-class in everything that we do," Graham said. "We have a tremendous brand with the fork. If you want to be a champion, you've got to look like a champion first.
"The best recruits are our players. And just like how we travel, where we stay, what we eat, the uniforms we have, when recruits come in our players are going to tell them how that is. We want to be the best in the country and taking care and providing that brand. We think we have an incredible brand with that fork and that Sun Devils. That's what this is all about."
Graham added that the new uniforms are not just for show but rather that they serve as a chance for his players to learn and grow.
"Looking sharp is an important part of being a champion," said Graham. "But it's also an important part of the educational process and teaching our players that if you want to be successful it looks a certain way, it speaks a certain way, it walks a certain way, it plays a certain way and it works a certain way."
The helmets have flames spread throughout. The facemasks are a charcoal color. And each helmet is adorned in the back with a three forks going from left to right.
The most notable thing about the flames design, is that they it will appear slightly different on every helmet Saturday.
"We're really excited to wear these uniforms for the fans and represent Sun Devil nation with character, class and integrity," said Irabor, who was also modeling off black sleeves with maroon and gold flames on both arms.
The Shamrock Series uniforms mark the fifth different jersey-helmet combination the Sun Devils have worn through their first five games in 2013.
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.