Updated Mar 22, 2014 - 10:36 am
ASU coach Graham: 'I think we'll be the best we've ever been' on offense
"Offensively, I think we'll be the best we've ever been," Graham said.
Pretty bold proclamation considering the offensive unit had a strong showing last year: The Sun Devils put up the the 17th-most yards of total offense in the nation.
Graham proceeded to name off some of the players that give him confidence in such a prediction, including running backs D.J. Foster and Deantre Lewis, receivers Kyle Middlebrooks and Jaelen Strong and offensive lineman Christian Westerman, among others.
"We're going to be extremely explosive, extremely talented on offense," the coach said. "Obviously, we've got our quarterback back. We've got two of the best quarterbacks, I think, in the country."
The two quarterbacks he's referring to are Mike Bercovici and starter Taylor Kelly. In the backfield, Foster -- whom Graham said is a "dynamic playmaker" -- looks to become the No. 1 rush option since Marion Grice, last year's leading rusher, will graduate in this spring.
"In Pac-12 play last year -- just looking at Pac-12 games -- we had the No. 1 scoring offense. And I think the expectations will be as good or better than that," Graham added.
Kelly, who will return as a senior, had career highs in completions (302), attempts (484) and yards (3,635) in 2013 -- and his 28 touchdown passes were one shy of his best mark.
The 6-foot-2 quarterback has already had two prolific years behind center for the Sun Devils, and Graham said that Kelly's best may be yet to come.
"You know, he's improved his arm strength each year," the coach said. "We want to be able to push the ball more vertically downfield and become more explosive as an offense. And I think you'll see that this next year. I do think that he's stronger now.
"And I think having a guy behind him like Bercovici that's so good, it really pushes him. Because I really, really think that we've got two of the best quarterbacks in the conference, and maybe in the country."
Graham added that he thinks Kelly is one of the top two returning quarterbacks in the Pac-12 -- along with Oregon's Marcus Mariota.
"(I've) got a lot of confidence in Taylor," Graham said. "And I think (his return is) big, because you've got to have a championship quarterback to win a championship."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- High Octane Hour with Arizona State's Graham begins next week
- ASU unveils new uniforms; is it still cutting-edge when everybody's doing it?
- ASU linebacker Marcus Washington: 'I just love hitting people'
- Arizona State Sun Devils unveil alternate football uniform
- ASU Sun Devils ranked No. 19 in AP preseason poll
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!