Updated May 7, 2012 - 3:06 pm
Marquette coach comments on Trent Lockett
Unlike the majority of the rash of recent transfers from ASU, Lockett is leaving for family reasons. His mother, Judy, was diagnosed with lymphoma in March, and Lockett is transferring to be closer to her. Lockett's family lives in Minnesota, just an hour flight away.
Monday, Marquette head coach Buzz Williams issued this statement about his newest Golden Eagle on the school's official website:
We are really excited to have Trent join our program. Even though his situation is unique, he will be a perfect fit for us on and off the floor. I have genuinely enjoyed getting to know Trent and his family over the last several weeks and I have great belief that he will finish his career here on a high note.
Lockett joins a Marquette team that went 27-8 overall and 14-4 in the Big East last season, and advanced to the Sweet 16 in Phoenix before falling to Florida.
Williams is returning a bulk of the talent from that squad, but does lose seniors Jae Crowder (2011 Big East Player of the Year) and Darius Johnson-Odom, so Lockett will be counted on to provide senior leadership from the day he steps on campus.
- Shaquielle McKissic wins appeal, will return to ASU for another year
- ASU head coach Herb Sendek: Team will play 'more difficult' schedule in 2014-15
- ASU's Jahii Carson officially headed to NBA Draft
- Arizona State vs. Texas ranked as one of the top 2014 NCAA Tournament games
- Report: Arizona State assistant Eric Musselman resigns
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.