Updated May 7, 2012 - 3:06 pm
Marquette coach comments on Trent Lockett
Unlike the majority of the rash of recent transfers from ASU, Lockett is leaving for family reasons. His mother, Judy, was diagnosed with lymphoma in March, and Lockett is transferring to be closer to her. Lockett's family lives in Minnesota, just an hour flight away.
Monday, Marquette head coach Buzz Williams issued this statement about his newest Golden Eagle on the school's official website:
We are really excited to have Trent join our program. Even though his situation is unique, he will be a perfect fit for us on and off the floor. I have genuinely enjoyed getting to know Trent and his family over the last several weeks and I have great belief that he will finish his career here on a high note.
Lockett joins a Marquette team that went 27-8 overall and 14-4 in the Big East last season, and advanced to the Sweet 16 in Phoenix before falling to Florida.
Williams is returning a bulk of the talent from that squad, but does lose seniors Jae Crowder (2011 Big East Player of the Year) and Darius Johnson-Odom, so Lockett will be counted on to provide senior leadership from the day he steps on campus.
- Lionel Hollins honored by ASU jersey retirement
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.