It became official over the weekend: Trent Lockett is transferring from Arizona State and will finish his college basketball career at Marquette University in Milwaukee.
Unlike the majority of the rash of recent transfers from ASU, Lockett is leaving for family reasons. His mother, Judy, was diagnosed with lymphoma in March, and Lockett is transferring to be closer to her. Lockett's family lives in Minnesota, just an hour flight away.
Monday, Marquette head coach Buzz Williams issued this statement about his newest Golden Eagle on the school's official website:
We are really excited to have Trent join our program. Even though his situation is unique, he will be a perfect fit for us on and off the floor. I have genuinely enjoyed getting to know Trent and his family over the last several weeks and I have great belief that he will finish his career here on a high note.
Lockett joins a Marquette team that went 27-8 overall and 14-4 in the Big East last season, and advanced to the Sweet 16 in Phoenix before falling to Florida.
Williams is returning a bulk of the talent from that squad, but does lose seniors Jae Crowder (2011 Big East Player of the Year) and Darius Johnson-Odom, so Lockett will be counted on to provide senior leadership from the day he steps on campus.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mike Norvell- ASU offensive coordinator - Thursday September 18Mike Norvell expresses his confidence in Mike Bercovici as a quarterback.
- D.J. Foster, ASU running back - Wednesday September 17D.J. Foster talks about why he chose to stay home and be a Sun Devil
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday September 17Ray Anderson explains why he and Todd Graham donated a combined $1,000,000 to the ASU stadium renova
- Rick Neuheisel, Pac-12 Network analyst - Wednesday September 17Pac-12 Network analyst Rick Neuheisel breaks down the first few weeks of Pac-12 football.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 16ESPN college football analyst Mark May says ASU's game plan will have to change with backup QB Mike