Brooklyn Nets head coach Lionel Hollins was honored to have his jersey retired by Arizona State University, he told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Hollins' jersey, along with Bryon Scott's, was retired by the ASU men's basketball team at Wells Fargo Arena in February 2011.
"It's a great honor," Hollins said. "It just shows the legacy that you left at the organization that you performed at. You tried to go at a high level every time you stepped on the court, at least for me, and to be recognized is like, ‘Wow.'"
Hollins played at ASU from 1973-75, averaging 17 points and 3.3 assists. He led the school to the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight in 1975, where the Sun Devils lost to UCLA. He is also a member of the ASU Hall of Fame.
"Coach (Ned) Wulk was great to me as a person, and they obviously furthered my basketball career with their teachings," Hollins said. "But I came to play sports because I enjoyed it and I didn't know that I was even going to have a professional career after that."
Hollins was selected by the Portland Trail Blazers with the sixth pick in the 1975 NBA Draft. He played for the Trail Blazers for five seasons, including the 1977 championship team. Hollins also played for Toronto, Philadelphia, San Diego, Detroit and Houston. He averaged 11.6 points and 5.2 assists during his NBA career. The Portland Trail Blazers retired his number in 2007.
"You go through all that and you get done and they say, ‘Hey, you left a heck of a legacy here,'" Hollins said. "‘We want to put your number up in the rafters for good so people will recognize who you were and what you did and accomplished here.' So that's the ultimate, and I'm really proud of that honor."
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Wednesday September 24AZCentral sports reporter Doug Haller previews Arizona State's matchup with UCLA.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday September 24Dan discusses the newly found connection between the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona State Sun Dev