Coyotes prospects Dylan Strome, Nick Merkley make AHL All-Star team
The American Hockey League announced Thursday its rosters for the AHL All-Star Classic, and two Coyotes prospects — Dylan Strome and Nick Merkley — were selected.
Strome and Merkley, both forwards, have seen NHL time this season.
Strome, 20, was the No. 3 overall pick in the 2015 NHL Draft and was twice named the AHL’s Player of the Week this season. He also won the league’s Rookie of the Month award for November. In 19 games with the Tucson Roadrunners this season, Strome has 11 goals and 19 assists.
He has played in two separate stints with the Arizona Coyotes this season, tallying just one goal and no assists in 11 games played.
Merkley, 20, was drafted 27 spots after Strome to become the 30th pick in the 2015 NHL Draft. He has 15 goals and 15 assists in 24 games with the Roadrunners this year. Merkley was called up to the Coyotes last month but played only one game before going back to the AHL.
The All-Star Classic will take place Jan. 28-29 at the Adirondack Bank Center, home of the Utica Comets in Utica, New York.
- Blue Jackets trade John Ramage to Coyotes for future considerations
- Coyotes start off strong against the Blues, snap losing streak
- Coyotes catch fire in first period against Blues, score four goals
- Late no-call sinks Arizona Coyotes’ hopes in Nashville
- Coyotes surrender lead late, fall in shootout to Predators