Taurasi, Mercury never trail in win over Fever
PHOENIX — Diana Taurasi and Stephanie Talbot scored 14 points apiece to lead five Phoenix players in double figures and help the Mercury beat the Indiana Fever 94-74 on Friday night.
Coach Sandy Brondello recorded her franchise-record 100th win with the Mercury.
DeWanna Bonner had 13 points and 10 rebounds, Brittney Griner added 12 and nine and Yvonne Turner scored 10 points for Phoenix (17-14). The Mercury, which won for just the second time since beating the Fever 101-82 on July 15, snapped a five-game home losing streak.
Taurasi hit a tie-breaking 3-pointer to spark a 12-0 run that gave Phoenix a 20-8 lead. Victoria Vivians hit a 3-pointer to pull Indiana (5-25) within seven at the end of the first quarter, but Turner and Leilani Mitchell hit 3s 20 seconds apart to make it 28-15 with eight minutes left in the second and the Mercury led by double figures the rest of the way.
Kelsey Mitchell, the second overall selection in April’s draft, led the Fever with 20 points, including four 3-pointers. Tiffany Mitchell added a season-best 17 points and tied her career high with nine rebounds.
- GM Jim Pitman: Mercury in early stages of finding temporary building
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5