Notre Dame commit and 17-year-old draftee Andrew Yerzy has agreed to a deal with the D-backs, the team announced Monday.
Yerzy is a left-handed hitting catcher and has played for the U18 Canadian Junior National Team since age 15. This season, he was a Rawlings-Perfect Game Third Team All-American, and was the co-champion of MLB’s Jr. Home Run Derby at the 2015 All-Star Game.
He’ll report to the Missoula Osprey, the D-backs’ rookie affiliate in the Pioneer League.
MLB.com’s Jim Callis reported via Twitter that Yerzy signed for $1.2 million.
The D-backs’ highest unsigned pick is now fifth-round infielder Joey Rose.
- Report: Former D-backs outfielder A.J. Pollock seeks $80 million deal
- Relive ASU’s Territorial Cup win with a 98.7 FM special Wednesday night
- Sun Devils emerge from chaotic fourth quarter with Territorial Cup win
- Sun Devils vs. Wildcats: A look back at Territorial Cup history
- Arizona Sports’ keys to the Territorial Cup battle between ASU and Arizona