Notre Dame commit and 17-year-old draftee Andrew Yerzy has agreed to a deal with the D-backs, the team announced Monday.
Yerzy is a left-handed hitting catcher and has played for the U18 Canadian Junior National Team since age 15. This season, he was a Rawlings-Perfect Game Third Team All-American, and was the co-champion of MLB’s Jr. Home Run Derby at the 2015 All-Star Game.
He’ll report to the Missoula Osprey, the D-backs’ rookie affiliate in the Pioneer League.
MLB.com’s Jim Callis reported via Twitter that Yerzy signed for $1.2 million.
The D-backs’ highest unsigned pick is now fifth-round infielder Joey Rose.
- D-backs pitcher Zack Greinke discusses reporting to Spring Training
- Diamondbacks enter spring training with position battles aplenty
- D-backs’ Archie Bradley replaces fake nails with renewed curveball
- Pride defines historic day as top female wrestlers compete
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall talks MLB proposals and more during Fan Fest