Notre Dame commit and 17-year-old draftee Andrew Yerzy has agreed to a deal with the D-backs, the team announced Monday.
Yerzy is a left-handed hitting catcher and has played for the U18 Canadian Junior National Team since age 15. This season, he was a Rawlings-Perfect Game Third Team All-American, and was the co-champion of MLB’s Jr. Home Run Derby at the 2015 All-Star Game.
He’ll report to the Missoula Osprey, the D-backs’ rookie affiliate in the Pioneer League.
MLB.com’s Jim Callis reported via Twitter that Yerzy signed for $1.2 million.
The D-backs’ highest unsigned pick is now fifth-round infielder Joey Rose.
- Hazen: Over next month, D-backs will lay out future one question at a time
- Diamondbacks mutually split with hitting coach Dave Magadan
- Diamondbacks end deflating September with a loss to Padres
- D-backs’ rookie Ildemaro Vargas hits 1st homer in 5-4 win vs. Padres
- D-backs fall to Padres’ walk-off in 15-inning marathon