ADVERTISEMENT

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

Ketel Marte at casino for hours Friday night while Diamondbacks hosted Reds

Arizona beat Cincinnati, 9-0, without Marte in attendance Friday.

Watch: What will the Arizona Diamondbacks do with Ketel Marte? | 7 mins

Arizona Diamondbacks star Ketel Marte was at a casino for four hours Friday night while the D-backs hosted the Cincinnati Reds in the first game of a homestand, Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro reported.

“He’s free to do whatever he wants. That’s how I look at it,” manager Torey Lovullo told reporters postgame. “As long as he wakes up tomorrow morning … and gets his work done at Salt River (Fields), which I am certain he will, that’s all that matters to me right now.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Lovullo reiterated Marte was at Salt River Fields earlier on Friday, rehabbing after he went from the restricted list to the 10-day injured list with left knee inflammation. Before the game, the manager was hopeful Marte’s IL stint will be close to the minimum so he can return for the final month of action.

Marte was a no-show at Fenway Park on Monday as Arizona began a series at the Boston Red Sox, and there was no clarity as to why. The team’s lineup card did not come out until shortly before first pitch, indicating the team thought he would make it.

His agent later said the second baseman was dealing with a knee injury and was headed to Phoenix for an MRI while dealing with a personal issue, which is why he initially landed on the restricted list that is reserved for non-baseball issues.

Marte met with Diamondbacks leadership Thursday, and Lovullo said the meeting covered a lot of ground, with both parties getting what they needed to off of their chest after the star did not show up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Players in the clubhouse expressed a need for an explanation as to why the star slugger was absent with the team in the thick of a playoff race.

Arizona beat Cincinnati, 9-0, without Marte in attendance Friday.

Damon Allred ASU reporter, ArizonaSports.com editor

Damon Allred is the Arizona State reporter for Arizona Sports and is a web editor for arizonasports.com and KTAR.com. Born and raised in the Valley, Damon has lived in the metro Phoenix area for most of his life. He began covering ASU in fall 2024… Read more

Comments

2 Comments

B
Bob Parsons 2 hours ago

Hazen and Lovullo got played for fools. What a terrible look. Marte is a clown. I would pass on making the playoffs if the trade off was getting rid of him.

A
Atrox084 Manda 16 minutes ago

What planet am I on? Does Marte have some incriminating photos of Lovullo or hazen or something? What makes me think that this is just a phantom IL stint that will stretch on all season is that there is no way in hell that they will let Marte be exposed to the cacophony of BOOs the first time he takes the field at home. I’m hoping against hope that the plan is to play nice and just have him sit out hurt the rest of the year and then trade him for pennies in the offseason