Reactions pour in on Cardinals QB Jacoby Brissett’s new contract
Questions regarding Brissett's status as the Cardinals' starting quarterback arose when he did not participate in the team's organized team activities this offseason.
Watch: Arizona Cardinals DB Will Johnson explains practicing against elite pass catchers every day | 9 mins
The Arizona Cardinals finally answered one of their biggest offseason questions on Sunday by agreeing to a new contract with veteran quarterback Jacoby Brissett.
The new deal is worth $15.5 million but could reach $21 million. Brissett is set to be a free agent after the season.
Questions arose regarding Brissett’s status as the Cardinals’ starting quarterback when he did not participate in the team’s organized team activities this offseason, amid his request for a pay raise. He held in during the Cardinals’ lone mandatory minicamp practice, and returned to the field on Thursday for the start of training camp.
With contract concerns out of the way, Brissett now looks primed to start Week 1 against the Los Angeles Chargers, with Gardner Minshew and rookie quarterback Carson Beck backing him up.
Head coach Mike LaFleur said Sunday he was happy for him and the team and that the situation was not a distraction.
“I think we have very mature and professional players… never thought it was ever a distraction, but it’s just one more thing we don’t have to talk about, or they have to read about,” LaFleur said. “I think that’s productive, and now we can move on with just the football aspect of it and keep the main thing the main thing.”
Cardinals teammates react to Jacoby Brissett’s new contract
Following the news of the new deal, several of Brissett’s teammates showed their support online for him getting a new contract.
7 🚀🤞🏾
— Rocketship 🚀 (@MackWilson) July 26, 2026
LFG 🤪
— Trey McBride (@mcbtrey) July 26, 2026
Let’s goooooo 💰💰 https://t.co/uh4J0eSGew
— Paris Johnson Jr. (@ParisJohnsonJr) July 26, 2026






Comments
16 Comments
Irrelevant really, but fine. The future begins when Carson starts his first game. Then we see if we have anything (I think we do), or if we will be in the market next year.
Jacoby is really a non factor. Ending the idiotic holdout was a good thing for the org and Jacoby will be shown the door after the season.
I think its a great move. He will double his wins from last year.
Beck has apparently underperformed thus far in preseason. Yes, it’s just preseason, but do we want another kid like at QB we took out of USC? He flunked out so bad I forgot his name😬Last time I saw him he was sitting in the bleachers watching a game as a spectator😱