Arizona Sports Insider Pass: Bad luck for the Suns, or is the NBA Draft Lottery rigged?
A result of bad luck? The odds weren’t as favorable as many might believe.
Earning the fourth overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft might’ve been expected for die-hard Phoenix Suns fans who know the team’s history of never winning the lottery (to be fair, many of those years they weren’t in consideration as a playoff team).
The odds were that the Suns could very likely fall to fourth, and past lotteries have seen many teams with the second-best odds do the same. And as the top-3 went Tuesday night — the Celtics (via trade), Lakers and Sixers will pick first through third — big media markets earning those picks certainly could be viewed as a conspiracy.
No matter what you believe, Suns fans can all agree that they can’t have nice things as a result of the draft lottery.
- Empire of the Suns NBA Draft Big Board: Trading up, Nos. 16, 31
- Arizona Sports 2018 NBA Mock Draft Tracker
- Despite Phoenix owning No. 1 pick, Lakers overshadow Suns (again)
- Report: Former Pelicans assistant, ASU guard McMillan joining Suns’ staff
- Phoenix Suns hosting viewing party for 2018 NBA Draft