Diamondbacks recall infielder Vargas, option Shipley
The Arizona Diamondbacks recalled Triple-A second baseman Ildemaro Vargas for his first MLB call-up and optioned pitcher Braden Shipley on Thursday.
Shipley, a starting pitcher for the Reno Aces, gave the D-backs a fresh arm out of the bullpen the last two games, pitching 2.1 combined innings and allowing four hits and one earned run with four strikeouts to go with a walk. The right-hander started his other two games with Arizona this season.
Vargas, 25, has spent 10 seasons in the minors after originally joining the St. Louis Cardinals as a non-drafted free agent in 2008.
The Venezuelan is batting .303 and ranks first in Triple-A with 24 doubles and 64 runs scored so far this season. A Pacific Coast League All-Star, Vargas has 738 minor-league games and 2,734 at-bats under his belt.
- GM Hazen: Call-ups aren’t the easy fix for D-backs’ batting woes
- D-backs offense continues to struggle, Greinke takes loss to Padres
- D-backs’ Zack Greinke reaches 2,500 career strikeouts
- D-backs put Flores on 10-day IL, recall Vargas from Triple-A Reno
- D-backs to move Robbie Ray up for Friday start vs. Giants