Tigers OF J.D. Martinez headed to D-backs for prospects
The Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired Detroit Tigers outfielder J.D. Martinez for three prospects, the teams confirmed Tuesday.
Infielders Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara and Jose King are headed to Detroit.
The 29-year-old Martinez is batting .305 with 16 home runs and 39 RBI this season. A seven-year MLB veteran, he is two years removed from his best season in 2015, when he earned an All-Star bid and a Silver Slugger Award.
He is set to become a free agent this upcoming offseason.
The D-backs have reportedly been aggressive in talks heading into the July 31 trade deadline. With Martinez, they can fill a void left in the outfield by Yasmany Tomas, who has been out for an extended period of time with a groin injury.
Arizona’s fourth-best prospect, per MLB.com, Lugo is a 22-year-old infielder who for Double-A Jackson is batting .282 with 43 RBI, seven home runs and four triples.
For the Visalia Rawhide, Alcantara, 21, is batting .279 with 28 RBI and three home runs on the season.
King, an 18-year-old shortstop with the Arizona Rookie League, is batting .261.
- Paul Goldschmidt gets start as DH in 2018 MLB All-Star Game
- D-backs Farm Rumblings: Christian Walker heating up in Reno
- Greinke again rules on road as Diamondbacks shut out Braves
- Nick Ahmed breaks tie in 7th as Diamondbacks top Braves
- ESPN’s Doolittle: D-backs among top teams in need of Manny Machado