Phoenix Mercury to honor Breonna Taylor on jerseys in 2020
The Phoenix Mercury will honor the life of Breonna Taylor by placing her name on the backs of their jerseys when the WNBA season begins in Bradenton, Fla.
Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman, was fatally shot when police officers burst into her Louisville apartment using a no-knock warrant during a narcotics investigation. The warrant to search her home was in connection with a suspect who did not live there and no drugs were found.
Her murder was the second in a string of three recent deaths that sparked a movement to fight racism and social injustices.
Phoenix players’ jerseys will feature a nameplate that reads “Breonna Taylor” below each player’s number and last name. Additionally, the Mercury will warm up in shirts that read “Black Lives Matter” on the front and “Say Her Name” on the back.
The team, which is in a bubbble in Florida, will open the 2020 campaign this Saturday against the Los Angeles Sparks. The opener tips at 12 p.m. and will be available to watch on ABC.
- Phoenix Mercury acquire Kia Nurse, Megan Walker in trade with Liberty
- Mercury star Brittney Griner opens up about getting counseling
- Sun Devils to wear ‘Froze Gold’ jersey combination in chilly Corvallis
- Phoenix Suns, Mercury debut new high-tech practice facility
- Mercury’s Taurasi, Diggins-Smith selected to All-WNBA 2nd Team