Kyler Murray not at Cardinals OTAs, expected at mandatory camp
Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray will not be at the Tempe practice fields this week as his team’s voluntary organized team activities (OTAs) begin Monday, as first reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
The reporter adds that “all continues to remain quiet” on contract talks between the quarterback and the team.
Head coach Kliff Kingsbury said Monday that Murray is expected to be present for mandatory camp June 14-16.
“I think they are fine. I think they are on the same page,” NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport told Pat McAfee on Monday. “I think they are moving forward together. He’s going to be there, he’s going to be the Cardinals’ quarterback this year. … They just aren’t there yet when it comes to a contract and I think this summer’s probably a better timetable to when it’s going to get done.”
Murray’s absence might not help quell any concerns from fans about his commitment to playing this season after the quarterback’s public back-and-forth regarding his contractual future with the team.
The quarterback laid some groundwork at the end of April to settle down fears he could sit out part of the offseason or even the regular season as the team has yet to extend him beyond his rookie deal.
As suggestions that the Cardinals could trade him percolated — general manager Steve Keim said there was “zero chance” of a trade — Murray got active on his Twitter account, affirming his commitment to play in Arizona.
On April 27, the Cardinals picked up a fifth-year option for the 2019 first overall pick to play for $29.7 million in 2023. But Murray will be on a deal that pays out just $5.5 million this coming season after he was rewarded with a hefty signing bonus before he suited up in the NFL.
Arizona can still sign Murray to a more significant extension despite already picking up the fifth-year option available for all first-round picks.
Murray’s agent, Erik Burkhardt, was aggressive early on this offseason pushing for his client to receive a new deal. In a letter published on social media in February, he put the onus on the Cardinals to extend Murray and said Arizona had been sent a proposed deal.
That proposal has reportedly since been pulled off the table by Murray’s representative.
“Actions speak louder than words in this volatile business,” a highlighted portion of Burkhardt’s letter reads.
“It is now simply up to the Cardinals to decide if they prioritize their rapidly improving 24-year-old, already 2X Pro Bowl QB, who led the organization from 3 wins before his arrival to 11 wins and their first playoff appearance in 5 years,” the letter continued.
Keim and owner Michael Bidwill have maintained Murray is the franchise quarterback, and the former has said extension discussions would come later in this offseason.
The 24-year-old Murray has earned two Pro Bowl nods and in his third NFL season in 2021 threw for 3,787 yards with 24 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.
Murray also rushed for 423 yards and five touchdowns as Arizona went 11-6 before losing in the NFC Wild Card round.