Welcome to the latest edition of a rising Phoenix athlete getting some love from a hip-hop star.
Rapper Drake broke out the jersey of Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker on Tuesday night while performing at Talking Stick Resort Arena. The connections here are pretty simple: Drake loves him some Kentucky basketball, and he met Booker when the second-year shooting guard was in Lexington.
Safe to say, Booker is pretty proud of arguably the biggest name in hip hop wearing his jersey.
Booker appeared to have some backstage access at the concert. He posed for an Instagram photo Tuesday with Jas Prince, who is Drake’s close friend and signed the star to his label.
If you remember, Booker proclaimed his Drake fandom not by word but by action, doing the rapper’s “Hotline Bling” dance after Mirza Teletovic nailed a game-winner in Chicago last season.
Between Drake showing Booker some love and Justin Bieber shouting out Coyotes youngster Max Domi not so long ago, it’s safe to say Phoenix’s athletes are well in-tune with pop culture.
And for that, we are proud.
- Bridges’ career night and 39 points from Booker help Suns hold off Celtics
- Phoenix Suns should consider young reserve rentals at trade deadline
- Suns coach Monty Williams ‘tempered’ after Deandre Ayton’s 20-20 game
- Deandre Ayton posts 1st career 20-20 game, Suns handle Knicks
- NBA All-Star fan voting has Suns’ Devin Booker 8th among guards