Bickley Blast: A funeral for the BCS is coming
The only thing it lacks is a playoff, and that's coming next season.
Of all the great story lines in college football, nothing is more appealing than the upcoming funeral for the BCS national title game. Next year will yield a four-team playoff that will only whet a nation's appetite.
When the ratings and revenue roll in for that bonanza, it's only a matter of time before the playoff expands to something with more weight, more teams, and more excitement.
Currently, the NFL is the undisputed heavyweight champion. But their sport is more conservative, homogenous and occasionally boring. That's not the case in college football, where innovation is constantly on display.
The NFL will always have the better players. But college football might have the better game. And once they embrace an 8-team playoff, we'll find out if Saturdays can replace Sundays as our day of sporting worship.
The above was transcribed from the Bickley Blast, heard on The Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta every Monday through Friday at noon on Arizona Sports 620.
- Carson Palmer eager for his encore season with Arizona Cardinals
- Bickley: Here are 5 reasons to be optimistic about 2014 Arizona Cardinals on eve of free agency
- LeBron James drops 61: How high can he go
- Josh Pastner's family has number of great tales to tell
- Giddyup: It's victory or bust for drivers in NASCAR's Sprint Cup this season