Updated Nov 29, 2011 - 1:46 pm
Patrick Peterson: Great returner, struggling corner
However, he was drafted fifth overall because of his cover skills, and the fact that he has yet to really show them can be a little concerning.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Peterson had a rough day in Sunday's win against the Rams, allowing six receptions for 74 yards. Apparently he never came close to breaking up a pass, and has been picked on all season.
He currently leads all corners in yards allowed with 641. Peterson is also tied for second in penalties given up (his eight equals Cedric Griffin and is one behind Brandon Browner); hardly DROTY material.
Indeed, Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt has been trumping Peterson as the league's best defensive rookie, and for the season Peterson has picked off a pair of passes while racking up 47 tackles and eight passes defensed.
Peterson has certainly been thrown to the wolves, so to speak, often times being asked to cover the opponent's best receiver. The former LSU star clearly struggled early on against the likes of Carolina's Steve Smith and New York's Hakeem Nicks, but seemed to be finding his footing. Has he slipped and regressed?
Hard to say, and as long as he keeps scoring touchdowns few will complain. Unless, of course, he keeps allowing them, too.
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.