Updated Nov 29, 2011 - 1:46 pm
Patrick Peterson: Great returner, struggling corner
However, he was drafted fifth overall because of his cover skills, and the fact that he has yet to really show them can be a little concerning.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Peterson had a rough day in Sunday's win against the Rams, allowing six receptions for 74 yards. Apparently he never came close to breaking up a pass, and has been picked on all season.
He currently leads all corners in yards allowed with 641. Peterson is also tied for second in penalties given up (his eight equals Cedric Griffin and is one behind Brandon Browner); hardly DROTY material.
Indeed, Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt has been trumping Peterson as the league's best defensive rookie, and for the season Peterson has picked off a pair of passes while racking up 47 tackles and eight passes defensed.
Peterson has certainly been thrown to the wolves, so to speak, often times being asked to cover the opponent's best receiver. The former LSU star clearly struggled early on against the likes of Carolina's Steve Smith and New York's Hakeem Nicks, but seemed to be finding his footing. Has he slipped and regressed?
Hard to say, and as long as he keeps scoring touchdowns few will complain. Unless, of course, he keeps allowing them, too.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.