Updated Nov 29, 2011 - 1:46 pm
Patrick Peterson: Great returner, struggling corner
However, he was drafted fifth overall because of his cover skills, and the fact that he has yet to really show them can be a little concerning.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Peterson had a rough day in Sunday's win against the Rams, allowing six receptions for 74 yards. Apparently he never came close to breaking up a pass, and has been picked on all season.
He currently leads all corners in yards allowed with 641. Peterson is also tied for second in penalties given up (his eight equals Cedric Griffin and is one behind Brandon Browner); hardly DROTY material.
Indeed, Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt has been trumping Peterson as the league's best defensive rookie, and for the season Peterson has picked off a pair of passes while racking up 47 tackles and eight passes defensed.
Peterson has certainly been thrown to the wolves, so to speak, often times being asked to cover the opponent's best receiver. The former LSU star clearly struggled early on against the likes of Carolina's Steve Smith and New York's Hakeem Nicks, but seemed to be finding his footing. Has he slipped and regressed?
Hard to say, and as long as he keeps scoring touchdowns few will complain. Unless, of course, he keeps allowing them, too.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?