Updated Jan 5, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Whisenhunt: Wells sat Sunday in preparation for future
However, the coach said Wells got a lot out of his 2011 season.
"It's a good tribute to Beanie; it was something he needed to do for himself and also for a lot of people who questioned his toughness," Whisenhunt said. "And I want to make sure that [Sunday] people understand that was no reflection on Beanie. That was purely my decision. He wanted to play."
Wells was inactive against the Seattle Seahawks (7-9) after close surveillance during practice, with Whisenhunt deciding the best option was to take care of the knee.
"I know it was tough for him not to play for what he did through this year," Whisenhunt said.
Wells had his best season as a pro despite only playing in 14 games.
Whisenhunt said the doctors will discuss with Wells the best method to heal his leg, whether it be with surgery or rehab, but the coaching staff will make sure he is in full health to play next season.
"I know the next time that we get Beanie on the football field, he'll be a heck of a lot more healthy than he was [Sunday] and even the last five or six games," Whisenhunt said.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!