Updated Jan 5, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Whisenhunt: Wells sat Sunday in preparation for future
However, the coach said Wells got a lot out of his 2011 season.
"It's a good tribute to Beanie; it was something he needed to do for himself and also for a lot of people who questioned his toughness," Whisenhunt said. "And I want to make sure that [Sunday] people understand that was no reflection on Beanie. That was purely my decision. He wanted to play."
Wells was inactive against the Seattle Seahawks (7-9) after close surveillance during practice, with Whisenhunt deciding the best option was to take care of the knee.
"I know it was tough for him not to play for what he did through this year," Whisenhunt said.
Wells had his best season as a pro despite only playing in 14 games.
Whisenhunt said the doctors will discuss with Wells the best method to heal his leg, whether it be with surgery or rehab, but the coaching staff will make sure he is in full health to play next season.
"I know the next time that we get Beanie on the football field, he'll be a heck of a lot more healthy than he was [Sunday] and even the last five or six games," Whisenhunt said.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.