Updated Jan 5, 2012 - 3:46 pm
Whisenhunt: Wells sat Sunday in preparation for future
However, the coach said Wells got a lot out of his 2011 season.
"It's a good tribute to Beanie; it was something he needed to do for himself and also for a lot of people who questioned his toughness," Whisenhunt said. "And I want to make sure that [Sunday] people understand that was no reflection on Beanie. That was purely my decision. He wanted to play."
Wells was inactive against the Seattle Seahawks (7-9) after close surveillance during practice, with Whisenhunt deciding the best option was to take care of the knee.
"I know it was tough for him not to play for what he did through this year," Whisenhunt said.
Wells had his best season as a pro despite only playing in 14 games.
Whisenhunt said the doctors will discuss with Wells the best method to heal his leg, whether it be with surgery or rehab, but the coaching staff will make sure he is in full health to play next season.
"I know the next time that we get Beanie on the football field, he'll be a heck of a lot more healthy than he was [Sunday] and even the last five or six games," Whisenhunt said.
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie in 'best shape of his career'
- Personnel and penumbras
- Arizona Cardinals' Alex Okafor's transition to linebacker is complete
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi