Cardinals coach: Team offered Karlos Dansby a contract day after season ended
A free agent in the prime of his career, Dansby left the desert for a five-year, $43 million contract.
The numbers would be different, but could it happen again?
Dansby, now 32, is again a free agent, and he happens to be coming off arguably the best season of his career. So, it's understandable if he thinks a pretty good contract should be coming his way.
The linebacker led the team with 122 total tackles last season while adding 6.5 sacks and four interceptions -- two of which he returned for touchdowns. He also tallied 19 passes defensed, and was named to the Associated Press All-NFL 2nd Team this season.
The Cardinals understandably, would like to have him back.
"Oh there's no doubt," coach Bruce Arians told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "We offered Karlos a contract the day after the season.
"We're still in the negotiation process. But yeah, he's a major priority because of what he brought to the table for us as a leader. We definitely would love to have him back."
To his credit, Dansby has said he expects to be a Cardinal next season, so he does not seem to be in any hurry to leave.
Until he signs a contract with the team, though, that will be a possibility. For the second time.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.