Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie has made strides
Bobby Massie and Bradley Sowell, former teammates at Ole Miss, reunited in Cardinal red during 2013 and are now competing against each other to start at right tackle. The Cardinals also brought in veteran offensive tackle Tyson Clabo for a visit, but no deal materialized.
The team signed former Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans offensive tackle Eric Winston on a one-year deal before the 2013 season. Winston stole the starting position from incumbent Massie, but was not re-signed by the Cardinals and remains a free agent.
Sowell started 12 games last season at left tackle, following Levi Brown's trade, while Massie saw action as the backup right tackle in eight games.
"Both those guys have been battling hard," Keim said on the Doug and Wolf show Friday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Bobby actually showed some real strides as we got to the middle of OTAs and our final minicamp. He did a nice job. He's got all the physical tools."
According to Pro Football Focus, the Cardinals' offensive line was ranked worst in pass blocking and 26th in run blocking during 2013. Keim feels like this weakness was addressed in the offseason after signing Jared Veldheer to a five-year deal and getting 2013 first-round pick Jonathon Cooper back from a season-ending injury.
"We feel like we've made huge strides along the offensive line, which was obviously much-needed," Keim said.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.