Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Bobby Massie has made strides
Bobby Massie and Bradley Sowell, former teammates at Ole Miss, reunited in Cardinal red during 2013 and are now competing against each other to start at right tackle. The Cardinals also brought in veteran offensive tackle Tyson Clabo for a visit, but no deal materialized.
The team signed former Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans offensive tackle Eric Winston on a one-year deal before the 2013 season. Winston stole the starting position from incumbent Massie, but was not re-signed by the Cardinals and remains a free agent.
Sowell started 12 games last season at left tackle, following Levi Brown's trade, while Massie saw action as the backup right tackle in eight games.
"Both those guys have been battling hard," Keim said on the Doug and Wolf show Friday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Bobby actually showed some real strides as we got to the middle of OTAs and our final minicamp. He did a nice job. He's got all the physical tools."
According to Pro Football Focus, the Cardinals' offensive line was ranked worst in pass blocking and 26th in run blocking during 2013. Keim feels like this weakness was addressed in the offseason after signing Jared Veldheer to a five-year deal and getting 2013 first-round pick Jonathon Cooper back from a season-ending injury.
"We feel like we've made huge strides along the offensive line, which was obviously much-needed," Keim said.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.