Updated Dec 16, 2011 - 5:54 pm
Steve Nash: 'That's my team forever'
A guest on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, Nash said he thinks of the Suns in the same way he does his high school and college team.
"That's my team forever," he said. "The business is an ever-changing one and I could be on another team tomorrow, but I definitely feel a sense of loyalty and kinship to this team."
Nash said he feels like there's a lot to play for, whether the Suns are a championship contender or not, and that while he'd like to win a title, not winning one won't define his career in the NBA.
That would go a long way towards explaining why a player who, after seemingly accomplished everything a player can on a personal level, would not demand a trade or be anxiously awaiting a chance to join a serious contender. The Suns, after all, are no longer what they used to be, and most would understand if the 37-year-old wanted to move on for a shot at that championship ring.
But that's just not how Nash rolls.
"Only one team can win it, that doesn't mean the other 29 teams were wasting their time or didn't accomplish anything that season."
Steve Nash is certainly not your normal NBA player. He'd rather see someone else score a basket than himself, and is willing to possibly forego a chance at a championship in order to stay in the Valley.
And, should the Suns fall short of a title this year, so be it. Nash will not look back with regrets on what has been a Hall of Fame career.
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?