Updated May 22, 2012 - 9:48 am
Rumor: Jeremy Lin headed to Phoenix?
The Knicks guard became the very definition of making the most of an opportunity when he broke into the New York starting lineup in February. In 25 starts, the Harvard grad averaged 18.2 points and 7.7 assists as the Knicks went 15-10.
Lin's startling season was cut short by a knee injury, and now his future in the Big Apple is in doubt.
The 23-year-old is a free agent, and could draw considerable interest from several NBA teams. One of those teams, at least according to an ESPN Insider report from David Thorpe, is the Phoenix Suns. Thorpe thinks the Lin-Phoenix marriage makes sense for a number of reasons.
This is my favorite landing spot for Lin if not New York. He would certainly be a starter if Steve Nash leaves, in an offense that is very similar to what he successfully ran as a Knick. Center Marcin Gortat becomes an excellent ball screen partner, and they play at a speed with which Lin is very comfortable.
Even if Nash returns, the Suns would possibly have not only his long-term replacement but someone who can provide a scoring punch off the bench as well as an energy guy with the second unit. It's not hard to remember the impact Leandro Barbosa had as Nash's backup. If they offered enough money, Lin will have to give that opportunity serious consideration regardless of what Nash does.
And Thorpe is right. With or without Nash in the fold moving forward, the Suns need to find their point guard of the future.
Lin is also one of the only free agents in this year's crop that could excite the Suns fan base and put extra fannies in the seats at US Airways Center.
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- If you dislike Robert Sarver, don't read this!
- Robert Sarver reflects on his 10 years at the helm of the Phoenix Suns
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?
- The DISH - April 14, 2014 - Monday April 14Jon Bloom gives us the Day In Suns History.