Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 11:00 am
Suns coach Gentry: 'It was a total abortion, really'
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons is worse.
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons by a score of 117-77 -- a 40 points margin -- is, well, we'll let Suns coach Alvin Gentry tell you what it is.
"There's nothing to say, it was a total abortion, really," Gentry told FoxSports Arizona after the game Wednesday. "I wish there was an easier way to put it, but we sucked in all phases of the game."
The Suns were tied with the Pistons, who entered the game just 4-11 on the season, 24-24 at the end of the first quarter.
From there they were outscored 93-53, and never even threatened to make any kind of run.
"It's the first game I can say that I didn't think we competed hard and didn't try to match their energy level, Gentry said.
The Suns, who fell to 7-9 on the season, are in the middle of a six-game road trip. They're 1-2 so far after beating Cleveland but losing to Philadelphia and Detroit, and now head north to take on the Toronto Raptors before facing the New York Knicks and Memphis Grizzlies.
Gentry called his team's performance in Detroit "beyond embarrassing," adding that if he was a Suns fan or part of management he'd be "totally pissed off, and rightfully so."
The Suns shot 34.1 percent from the field, made just six of their 21 three point attempts, were outrebounded and had more turnovers than assists.
In short, Gentry is absolutely correct.
"There was nothing that we did that you could even say was NCAA quality," he said.
That may be an unnecessary shot at college ballers, but we understand.
- Suns' future looks bright, but D-backs have proven nothing is guaranteed
- Duke freshman Jabari Parker declares for NBA draft
- Reserves lead Suns to season-ending win over Kings: By The Numbers
- Suns general manager Ryan McDonough: 'We'd like to have' Channing Frye back next season
- Phoenix Suns GM: It would be a waste of time for another team to pursue Eric Bledsoe
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 15Dan goes off on the Suns missing the playoffs.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns head coach - Tuesday April 15Why were the Suns able to surpass early season expectations?