Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 11:00 am
Suns coach Gentry: 'It was a total abortion, really'
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons is worse.
Losing a game to the Detroit Pistons by a score of 117-77 -- a 40 points margin -- is, well, we'll let Suns coach Alvin Gentry tell you what it is.
"There's nothing to say, it was a total abortion, really," Gentry told FoxSports Arizona after the game Wednesday. "I wish there was an easier way to put it, but we sucked in all phases of the game."
The Suns were tied with the Pistons, who entered the game just 4-11 on the season, 24-24 at the end of the first quarter.
From there they were outscored 93-53, and never even threatened to make any kind of run.
"It's the first game I can say that I didn't think we competed hard and didn't try to match their energy level, Gentry said.
The Suns, who fell to 7-9 on the season, are in the middle of a six-game road trip. They're 1-2 so far after beating Cleveland but losing to Philadelphia and Detroit, and now head north to take on the Toronto Raptors before facing the New York Knicks and Memphis Grizzlies.
Gentry called his team's performance in Detroit "beyond embarrassing," adding that if he was a Suns fan or part of management he'd be "totally pissed off, and rightfully so."
The Suns shot 34.1 percent from the field, made just six of their 21 three point attempts, were outrebounded and had more turnovers than assists.
In short, Gentry is absolutely correct.
"There was nothing that we did that you could even say was NCAA quality," he said.
That may be an unnecessary shot at college ballers, but we understand.
- The Pulse: Suns fans feel offseason has been 'incomplete'
- Phoenix Suns' Miles Plumlee named to 2014 USA Men's Select Team
- Phoenix Suns dig deep for shooting with Anthony Tolliver
- New Phoenix Sun Isaiah Thomas: 'I just felt wanted'
- Phoenix Suns GM Ryan McDonough: Isaiah Thomas helps achieve goal of building depth
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.