Updated May 28, 2013 - 2:40 pm
Hornacek optimistic, excited about homecoming
After spending the first five minutes of the conference reflecting on his time playing for the organization, weaving in other significant pieces of Suns history, Hornacek expressed his happiness to be returning to the Valley, where he has lived for years.
"It (feels) like coming home," the 50-year-old coach said when asked by a reporter how it felt to rejoin the Suns. "It's just a great feeling."
Hornacek light-heartedly joked about his departure from the Suns back in 1992, when the sharp-shooting guard was sent to the Philadelphia 76ers along with Tim Perry and Andrew Lang for Charles Barkley. "They shipped me out of here for Charles," he said, drawing chuckles from those in the room. He then recounted the story of suggesting the Suns trade for Barkley, saying, "I was part of trading myself."
But hard feelings - really, negativity in any fashion - had no place in Tuesday's press conference. For Hornacek, a coach's son, such things are nonexistent when compared with basketball acumen.
"I always say if I was a GM or an owner, I would have made the same trade, too. It was a great trade for the organization."
Hornacek was drafted by the Suns in the second round of the 1986 draft and he quickly rose to stardom, grabbing the starting shooting guard job during his second year in the league. He averaged more than 20 points per game in the 1991-92 season, the season prior to his trade, making the Western Conference All-Star team.
Hornacek's positivity wasn't limited to his reflections on his shortened past with the Suns. It also surfaced as he spoke of the team's future.
"There (are) a lot of great players on this roster," the coach said, speaking of his new team, who finished with the worst record in the West last season, at 25-57.
Indeed, Hornacek may be home, and happily so, but another journey altogether lies ahead.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.