Updated Nov 21, 2013 - 4:50 pm
NBA Insider: Suns love Utah's Gordon Hayward
Under new general manager Ryan McDonough, the Suns have re-tooled their roster and put themselves in an enviable position to improve either through the draft (they could have four first-round picks next summer) or through a trade (see the last parenthetical.)
Longtime NBA insider Peter Vecsey tweeted Wednesday night that the Suns already have their eye on a free agent target in 2014.
According to a GM, the Suns will do everything possible this summer to sign Gordon Hayward to an unmatchable offer sheet....— Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) November 21, 2013
Hayward, a fourth-year pro for the Utah Jazz, will be a restricted free agent following the season. The deadline for Utah to extend Hayward's contract expired October 31, and according to reports, the player's camp was seeking a deal in the neighborhood of $50 million over four years.
The Jazz drafted Hayward out of Butler ninth overall in 2010, and the 6-foot-8 wing learned under current Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek, who spent three seasons as an assistant in Utah.
Hayward is currently averaging 18.2 points and 5.9 rebounds per game for the woeful Jazz who, at 1-12, sport the NBA's worst record.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Report: Phoenix Suns reach out to Minnesota Timberwolves about an Eric Bledsoe-Kevin Love trade
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.