Updated Jan 8, 2014 - 12:23 pm
Former Arizona Diamondback Luis Gonzalez falls short in Hall of Fame bid
The former Diamondback earned just five votes from the Baseball Writers Association of America, which amounts to .9 percent. It takes 75 percent of the votes to be inducted.
Gonzalez's MLB career spanned 19 seasons and saw him play for six different teams, though his best years were in Arizona with the Diamondbacks from 1999 to 2005.
With Arizona, Gonzalez hit .298 while mashing 224 home runs and tallying 774 RBI. His best year came in 2001, as he hit .325 with 57 home runs and 142 RBI on the way to leading the D-backs to a World Series title. The left fielder finished third in the NL MVP voting that season.
A five-time All-Star, Gonzalez also won a Silver Slugger award in 2001. He retired as a player following the 2008 season, and is currently working in the Diamondbacks' front office.
The only players to receive enough votes this year were Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas.
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?