'Yotes Notes: Coyotes do everything right, lose in OT to Oilers
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 2-1 overtime loss to the Oilers on January 30.
For the second straight game, the Coyotes put together a solid game. They looked great in front of young Chad Johnson, who looked in control on the 21 shots that came his way.
The Coyotes penalty kill was rolling all night. Not only did they shut down a talented Oilers side, they managed to break out a few times. It looked as if a short-handed effort was coming, but the puck never seemed to sneak in.
The Coyotes did 99 things right and got one thing wrong. Despite them generating plenty of chances, the Coyotes could not score to save their lives. Several times in the game -- most notably the second period -- the Coyotes had a few swipes at the puck in the slot, but did not elevate it enough to clear Devan Dubnyk's pads.
On the on-going injury front, both Martin Hanzal and Steve Sullivan missed Wednesday's match-up. Their presences were clearly missed, especially on the power play. Head coach Dave Tippett said he hopes both, along with goaltender Mike Smith, will return soon.
• Phoenix goalie Chad Johnson has been the hot hand as of late. He's given up just two goals (neither his fault) in two games. Smith is likely to return to the lineup this weekend, but Tippett will be hard pressed to find a reason to leave Johnson on the bench.
He Said It:
Tippett on the Coyotes ownership situation and reports that prospective buyer Greg Jamison has failed to reach the finish line.
"It's always the status quo for us. I think this has not surprised anybody around here, so it is what it as and we deal with it like we've dealt with it for three years."
The Coyotes (2-4-1) face an important home-and-home contest with the Stars this weekend. They'll head to Dallas on Friday before returning to to the Valley on Saturday to take on the Stars again.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes' GM - Wednesday May 29The GM discusses his contract extension and the futures of head coach Dave Tippett and goaltender Mi
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.