Updated Oct 13, 2013 - 1:43 pm
'Yotes Notes: Rob Klinkhammer's big day carries Coyotes to third straight road win
The teams went into the third period at a 3-3 tie, but Rob Klinkhammer scored his second goal of the game just 22 seconds into the frame, and Shane Doan later put the added a score, giving the Coyotes a 5-3 win.
Mikkel Boedker and Lauri Korpikoski put up the two other goals for Phoenix.
The Coyotes won their third straight road game and improved to 4-2 on the season. The Hurricanes fell to 2-2.
Goaltender Mike Smith returned to action for the Coyotes after getting a rest in the previous game against Philadelphia. He recorded 31 saves in the outing. The teams had a fairly even amount of shots on goal: Coyotes 32; Hurricanes 34.
The Coyotes held the Hurricanes at bay on power plays. Carolina had nine power play opportunities in the game, but only converted one.
The five goals were the highest single-game output for Phoenix on the year. The Coyotes scored a goal in each of the three periods and held Carolina scoreless in the third.
Shane Doan scored a goal and put up an assist on Mikkel Boedker's first period goal.
Despite winning their third game in four days, the Coyotes committed 10 penalties on the afternoon, including four in the second period.
While Phoenix was able to survive a 5-on-3 penalty kill midway through the second period, a two-minute tripping call on Radim Vrbata led to Jeff Skinner's game-tying goal at the 19:03 mark of the second period.
Although Mike Smith made 31 saves in the two-goal victory, the Coyotes netminder allowed three goals or more for the third time on the five-game road swing.
- Rob Klinkhammer's two-goal game was the first of his career and especially gratifying considering his first goal of 2013 on Friday night in Philadelphia was later credited to Derek Morris.
- Lauri Korpikoski's first period goal was his first of the season and marked his 100 point in a Coyotes uniform.
- The Coyotes' three-game road winning streak is their first since Feb. 16-25, 2012.
The Coyotes return home from their five-game road trip to take on the Ottawa Senators at Jobing.com Arena Tuesday night. Phoenix's only home game on the season resulted in a 4-1 win over the New York Rangers back on Oct. 3. Puck drops at 7:00 p.m. MST and can be heard on KMVP 860 AM.
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!