By the Numbers: Coyotes get big lead, survive late rally to top Oilers
But after a 3-2 loss to the Calgary Flames on Wednesday, the Coyotes found themselves needing to salvage a trip that, on paper, looked promising.
Phoenix did just that Friday against the Edmonton Oilers.
The Coyotes jumped out to a 4-0 lead, then survived a frantic Edmonton rally to hang on for a much-needed 4-3 win over the Oilers and former Phoenix goalie Ilya Bryzgalov.
Here's a closer look at the win by the numbers:
The Coyotes took just 1:09 between their second and third goals. After Radim Vrbata found the net on Phoenix's second and final power play of the game, Derek Morris scored to push the Coyotes lead to 3-0 with 1:41 left in the first period.
Edmonton went 0-for-5 on the power play, thanks to a strong effort from the Phoenix penalty-killing unit and solid outing by goalie Mike Smith.
The Coyotes' defense forced Edmonton into 25 giveaways.
Phoenix didn't get an abundance of scoring chances, but made the most of its 29 shot attempts.
Edmonton got 39 shots on Smith, though he made the save on 36 of those -- several of which came on spectacular efforts.
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.