Updated Feb 17, 2014 - 9:47 am
Coyotes minor league affiliate involved in wild brawl
Well, kind of.
On Sunday, the Portland Pirates -- a Phoenix Coyotes AHL affiliate -- found themselves in a heck of a brawl against the Adirondack Phantoms with just 21 seconds to play in regulation.
Both lines and both goalies jumped into the fracas, which was the substance of the 299 penalty minutes in the game.
Perhaps the focal point of the brawl was Coyotes prospect Connor Murphy, who himself didn't throw any punches but was painstakingly sprayed with a number of blows from Philadelphia Flyers prospect Tye McGinn. Coyotes defenseman Rostislav Klesla was also involved in the riot.
Ten fighting majors were ultimately issued.
"There is a yard sale of equipment to clean up," Jeff Mannix, Pirates radio play-by-play man, summed up the brouhaha.
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?