Updated Nov 28, 2011 - 5:21 pm
Vontaze Burfict hurt draft stock with play this season
Sports Illustrated's Tony Pauline compiled a list of defensive players whose draft stock was hurt after poor play this season, and Burfict was the first player named.
Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State*: Possibly no player has dropped down draft boards faster this season than Burfict. He entered the campaign ranked as a potential top five pick, but his immaturity has cost him at least half a round, if not more. He's been consistently flagged for unsportsmanlike penalties, and it has cost his team dearly. Scouts say Burfict shows little in the way of controlling his temper, which has NFL decision-makers concerned.
The junior middle linebacker entered this season with high expectations and finished as an afterthought, much like the Sun Devils football team as a whole.
Burfict finished the season with 68 tackles, five sacks and one interception. He was also named as one of the 12 finalists for the Butkus Award, given to the nation's best linebacker.
It was Burfict's attitude and lack of on-field discipline that brought out the biggest critics, however.
If Burfict does decide to declare for the NFL draft, he will finally find out what the pro teams really think of him.
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Michael Crow and Larry Scott agree that change needs to happen
- ASU president Michael Crow: compensate coaches on performance
- Arizona State picked to finish third in Pac-12 preseason media poll
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.