ADVERTISEMENT

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

Exclusive: Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen to meet with Ketel Marte with hope he returns

Hazen said he plans to meet with Marte on Thursday to receive more clarity after the latter undergoes an MRI on his knee in Phoenix.

Watch: Mike Hazen exclusive: D-backs GM plans meeting with Ketel Marte on Thursday | 12 mins

Arizona Diamondbacks general manager Mike Hazen said he remains “hopeful” that three-time All-Star Ketel Marte will play again this season after he did not show up to a game on Monday at Fenway Park and with few details having surfaced since.

Hazen said he plans to meet with Marte on Thursday to receive more clarity after the latter undergoes an MRI on his knee in Phoenix.

“Some of this is I don’t have full stuff to disclose or talk about because I don’t have that information yet,” Hazen told Arizona Sports’ Wolf & Luke. “I think it would be more appropriate to handle anything that we need to in person.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Marte’s absence has been described as a personal matter, both by manager Torey Lovullo and Marte’s agent, Charisse Espinosa-Dash, who sent a statement to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi on Wednesday. The statement said Marte looks forward to returning as soon as possible.

Hazen said he and Marte have exchanged some texts, while Lovullo told reporters in Boston before Wednesday’s game that he still had not heard from a player whom he has managed for the past decade.

All of this is going down while the Diamondbacks are fighting to keep pace in a pennant race, and Hazen said the past couple games have suggested there has been a level of distraction. This is not the time for that, and Hazen harped on the message that this team has overcome a lot this year and will have to continue to show resilience.

“I’m not going to lie to you and say that it doesn’t look like there’s some kind of impact that has happened,” Hazen said. “But you know, these guys are professionals. They know what they need to do to separate. … I’m confident that we’re going to turn that back around and go start playing well.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are where we are. We have to deal with it. The focus needs to remain on playing good baseball,” he added. “The fans deserve it. The work that these players have put in for the first five-and-a-half months, five months of this season, trying to finish this thing off and get into the playoffs with all the things that have gone on with his team. That’s what needs to remain the focus, period.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Arizona Sports (@arizsports)

As for whether Marte will play again this season, Hazen said there are “a lot of variables,” and he did not want to get too far ahead of being “hopeful.” Lovullo had a similar answer when asked the same question earlier this week.

There just remains too many unknowns, not only publicly but within the organization.

Diamondbacks need to overcome more adversity

As far as how the Diamondbacks can handle not having Marte — a switch-hitting second baseman unlike anyone else in the sport — for the time being, Hazen said the club will simply have to deal with it the way it has dealt with adversity all year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona expected to have A.J. Puk and Corbin Burnes back at this point, but they suffered setbacks. Michael Soroka, Ryne Nelson and Zac Gallen all got injured and left the rotation short-handed. Marte and Corbin Carroll went through extended dry spells at the same time. Hazen pointed to his trade deadline failures as something the Diamondbacks had to get past.

The D-backs have found ways to remain competitive in the chase for a National League Wild Card spot, and with the San Diego Padres and Philadelphia Phillies both on heaters, they will need to grind out wins to stick around despite the turbulence. Hazen emphasized that the roster may not be the most talented in the league, but as a team the players have come together.

“I think the focus here for us, this team, the ability that we have and the opportunity that is still in front of us, requires us to separate whatever comes our way and go out and play good baseball,” Hazen said. “And that’s what my message has been internally. I would tell the team if I was with them right now. It’s what I’ve told Torey, it’s what Torey is telling the team and telling individual players. I believe that these guys have the ability to do this.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Hazen pointed to Geraldo Perdomo, Carroll, Eduardo Rodriguez and Nolan Arenado as leaders in the clubhouse who could help the group get through this. Arenado returning to the lineup on Wednesday could provide some support.

Alex Weiner D-backs reporter and ArizonaSports.com editor

Alex Weiner is the Arizona Diamondbacks beat reporter for Arizona Sports and serves as a web editor for the station. Born and raised in Los Angeles, Alex moved to Arizona in 2017 to attend Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of… Read more

Comments

4 Comments

C
Chris Conner 24 minutes ago

Sorry, but this is now just ridiculous. Second year in a row Marte has a late season issue to distract this team. I stick by my previous comment, cut him loose and move on. Wish Marte the best through.

A
Atrox084 Manda 40 seconds ago

I truly believe that he only really enjoys playing when he’s putting up mvp numbers. When he’s not, like this year, he looks for any reason to not play.

A
Atrox084 Manda 10 minutes ago

Screw this, this is the third year in a row that this guy has torpedoed their season at the most critical moment. They can’t have him back. He obviously doesn’t give a flying rats a** about his teammates, coaches or the fans. I can’t even imagine how pissed his teammates are. And even worse, they are then forced to go on camera and do interviews about this and put a smile on their face and tell the world how much they love Ketel and they just want him to be happy.