D-backs’ Magic Number Countdown
The Arizona Diamondbacks are inching closer and closer to their first postseason appearance since 2011.
After Sunday’s 4-2 loss to San Diego, the D-backs are 87-64 and lead the Rockies by four and a half games for the top National League Wild Card spot.
The D-backs’ Magic Number for clinching a playoff spot is now six, meaning any combination of six Arizona wins and Milwaukee Brewers’ losses would send Torey Lovullo’s team to the playoffs.
The Diamondbacks have made the postseason five times in their history. However, they’ve never made it as a Wild Card. Arizona won the National League West in 1999, 2001, 2002, 2007 and 2011.
The D-backs dropped their series opener to San Diego on Monday, with Patrick Corbin taking the loss. Zack Godley will try to get the team back on track on Tuesday.
- Diamondbacks drop series opener to Padres in San Diego
- NL Wild Card tracker: D-backs fight for playoff positioning
- D-backs’ Martinez earns second NL Player of the Week honor in a row
- Diamondbacks fall to Giants, unable to complete sweep in San Francisco
- Big Red Recap: Dawson gets second chance as Cardinals beat Colts in OT