Thomas’ double-double helps NAU defeat San Diego Christian
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Isaiah Thomas reached career bests with 17 points and 15 rebounds, and Northern Arizona sank 7 of 8 free throws in the final minute to defeat San Diego Christian 79-70 Wednesday night.
The double-double was the second straight for Thomas, and NAU (2-7) has won consecutive games for the first time in nearly a year. The Lumberjacks, coming off a win at Cal State Bakersfield, last won back-to-back games in January (Northern Colorado and North Dakota).
Karl Harris and Gino Littles also recorded career highs in scoring for NAU — Harris with 19 and Littles with 12.
Derek Novsek led the Hawks, of the NAIA, with 22 points and Nick Crankshaw added 13. Anthony Gonzalez scored with two minutes left, pulling the Hawks to within 72-69. But Littles and Harris each made two free throws and Jojo Anderson made 3 of 4. NAU converted 17 of 22.
San Diego Christian was outrebounded 43-29, outscored 44-36 in the paint but banged in nine 3s and scored 15 points off 14 NAU turnovers.
- ASU, NAU represented on College Football Hall of Fame ballot for 2022
- Arizona-NAU basketball game canceled due to COVID-19
- Big Sky reveals Northern Arizona’s 6-game spring football schedule
- College Football Hall of Fame ballot includes 4 from ASU, 1 from NAU
- NAU removes interim label, names Shane Burcar men’s basketball coach