Waiting for nearly three days, former Arizona Wildcat Scooby Wright III finally got the call from the Cleveland Browns. But if Wright had not been selected and went undrafted, the linebacker was prepared to call the Arizona Cardinals.
The thought of Wright donning a Cardinal jersey would be reminiscent of Arizona selecting former Arizona State quarterback Jake ‘The Snake’ Plummer in 1997.
Before his name was announced by the Browns, Wright was contacted by six other NFL teams regarding a free agent contract. However, when the former Wildcat standout heard his name, he broke into tears and jumped straight into his pool.
Wright is determined to show Cleveland they won’t regret using their last pick on him.
Wright put together a star-studded collegiate career, receiving the Lombardi, Bednarik and Lambert awards, as well as being named the best defensive player in college football in 2014.
With Karlos Dansby signing with the division rival Cincinnati Bengals, Wright could make a strong push for the starting middle linebacker position in Cleveland.
- Cardinals sign Anthony Denham Jr., Earl Okine to practice squad
- Arizona Sports Fantasy Football Host League: Week 3 recap
- Former NFL lineman: Continuity on offensive line very delicate process
- Cardinals GM Steve Keim: Offensive line play ‘was unacceptable’
- How the NFC West Was Won — Week 3: Exciting win pushes Rams back to top