Updated Dec 5, 2011 - 10:41 am
Cardinals win over Cowboys is extra sweet
Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb said he didn't think it would be before the game, but once he walked off the field a winner?
"Absolutely," he said. "All my friends probably had Dallas jerseys on. They're die-hard, so I'll be happy to slap them in the face whenever I see them."
The Cardinals topped their one-time division rivals 19-13 in overtime Sunday, giving the Cowboys a long plane ride home and their fans, many of whom were in attendance, a quiet exit from University of Phoenix Stadium.
It meant a lot to Cardinals fans, many of whom were fairly talkative on the way out of the stadium, and it pushed Larry Fitzgerald's record to 3-2 against the team in silver and blue.
Winners of the last three, it goes without saying that Fitzgerald likes seeing the star on his opponent's helmet. Of course, none of the victories have been easy. Arizona beat Dallas 27-26 on a Jay Feely field goal in the final seconds last season, and 30-24 after a blocked punt/touchdown in a 2008 overtime battle. The latest victory was, in reality, just par for the course.
"They've been great," he said, "they've all gone our way. You can't argue with those results."
No you can't, and you also can't argue with the fact that the Cardinals, playing in front of a sold-out stadium filled with plenty of fans rooting for the visitors, did a lot Sunday to re-establish a true home field advantage.
After all, the Cardinals won six home games in 2007 and 2008, before winning just four in 2009 and 2010. They started just 1-2 at University of Phoenix Stadium this season, but have won their last two tries.
"We take a lot of pride playing here at home," Fitzgerald said. "This is our home building and we always want to come in here and play well.
"I'm not saying we don't want to play well on the road, but especially when you come home in front of your home crowd you want to get wins."
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.