Updated Dec 5, 2011 - 10:41 am
Cardinals win over Cowboys is extra sweet
Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb said he didn't think it would be before the game, but once he walked off the field a winner?
"Absolutely," he said. "All my friends probably had Dallas jerseys on. They're die-hard, so I'll be happy to slap them in the face whenever I see them."
The Cardinals topped their one-time division rivals 19-13 in overtime Sunday, giving the Cowboys a long plane ride home and their fans, many of whom were in attendance, a quiet exit from University of Phoenix Stadium.
It meant a lot to Cardinals fans, many of whom were fairly talkative on the way out of the stadium, and it pushed Larry Fitzgerald's record to 3-2 against the team in silver and blue.
Winners of the last three, it goes without saying that Fitzgerald likes seeing the star on his opponent's helmet. Of course, none of the victories have been easy. Arizona beat Dallas 27-26 on a Jay Feely field goal in the final seconds last season, and 30-24 after a blocked punt/touchdown in a 2008 overtime battle. The latest victory was, in reality, just par for the course.
"They've been great," he said, "they've all gone our way. You can't argue with those results."
No you can't, and you also can't argue with the fact that the Cardinals, playing in front of a sold-out stadium filled with plenty of fans rooting for the visitors, did a lot Sunday to re-establish a true home field advantage.
After all, the Cardinals won six home games in 2007 and 2008, before winning just four in 2009 and 2010. They started just 1-2 at University of Phoenix Stadium this season, but have won their last two tries.
"We take a lot of pride playing here at home," Fitzgerald said. "This is our home building and we always want to come in here and play well.
"I'm not saying we don't want to play well on the road, but especially when you come home in front of your home crowd you want to get wins."
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.