Updated Dec 5, 2011 - 10:41 am
Cardinals win over Cowboys is extra sweet
Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb said he didn't think it would be before the game, but once he walked off the field a winner?
"Absolutely," he said. "All my friends probably had Dallas jerseys on. They're die-hard, so I'll be happy to slap them in the face whenever I see them."
The Cardinals topped their one-time division rivals 19-13 in overtime Sunday, giving the Cowboys a long plane ride home and their fans, many of whom were in attendance, a quiet exit from University of Phoenix Stadium.
It meant a lot to Cardinals fans, many of whom were fairly talkative on the way out of the stadium, and it pushed Larry Fitzgerald's record to 3-2 against the team in silver and blue.
Winners of the last three, it goes without saying that Fitzgerald likes seeing the star on his opponent's helmet. Of course, none of the victories have been easy. Arizona beat Dallas 27-26 on a Jay Feely field goal in the final seconds last season, and 30-24 after a blocked punt/touchdown in a 2008 overtime battle. The latest victory was, in reality, just par for the course.
"They've been great," he said, "they've all gone our way. You can't argue with those results."
No you can't, and you also can't argue with the fact that the Cardinals, playing in front of a sold-out stadium filled with plenty of fans rooting for the visitors, did a lot Sunday to re-establish a true home field advantage.
After all, the Cardinals won six home games in 2007 and 2008, before winning just four in 2009 and 2010. They started just 1-2 at University of Phoenix Stadium this season, but have won their last two tries.
"We take a lot of pride playing here at home," Fitzgerald said. "This is our home building and we always want to come in here and play well.
"I'm not saying we don't want to play well on the road, but especially when you come home in front of your home crowd you want to get wins."
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.