Updated Apr 17, 2012 - 5:09 pm
Rhodes, Cardinals' defense aims to 'hit the ground running'
The 2011 lockout hindered the training and preparation for the upcoming season, but the players are now more eager to get in a complete offseason workout with their teams.
"I think it's very beneficial. You get to be around each other. This is the time where I think teams form and bond and get to where we know each other and know what each other likes to do," Cardinals safety Kerry Rhodes said Monday.
"Just to be around the guys and feel that camaraderie— that's great. You know, last year was a unique situation where some things had to be done in a different way. To get back to it now has been good."
Rhodes missed eight games last season from a fracture in his foot, but returned for two games before the end of the season. He finished with 26 tackles and two fumble recoveries for the year.
"I've been to the gym a lot," Rhodes said. "But getting back here to see the guys, just see what they've been up to, see how good of shape they're in or how much out of shape they're in, it's good."
Rhodes has high hopes for the defense this year. The team started slow in 2011, allowing 24.5 points per game in the first half of the season, but surrendered just an average of 19 over the final eight.
"You want to hit the ground running, no question. I think we finished 7-2 down the stretch. I think as a defensive unit, we got a lot of things and got better as the year went on," Rhodes said. "Nothing really carries over into another year, so to speak. But inside, we feel real good about where we ended. If we continue that, we'll be fine."
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.