Rob Housler hopes to make bigger impact in 2012
Rookies all across the NFL have gotten their first taste of offseason action through OTAs in the month of May. For second-year players like Arizona Cardinals tight end Rob Housler, it's a first time learning experience as well.
Because teams were kept from almost all of their preseason workouts and camps going into 2011 due to the lockout, Housler was without the benefit of a real training camp until now.
"I really wish I would have had this this time last year, but I have it in front of me now, so I'm trying to take advantage of it," Housler told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Thursday.
Housler finished 2011 with 12 catches for 133 yards, but saw limited playing time behind Todd Heap and Jeff King.
Housler admits he didn't realize how much of a toll the NFL season would have on him, and that he hit the ‘rookie wall' about halfway through the season.
"It's extremely demanding on your body, it's really hard to put that into words to any rookie," Housler said. "It's one thing you just have to experience. You have to know how to pace yourself, keep your body healthy and eat, sleep and just live right."
Housler is looking to veterans on the team for lessons, and hopes to make a bigger impact on the 2012 season.
"I'm feeling really good and I'm excited to get training camp started and get more experience before the season starts," Housler said. "I wasn't even a blip on the radar last year, and that's not the kind of player I feel like I am. That's not the kind of player I want to be, I want to be an impact player. I want to go in and make a big difference."
- ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals were a free agency winner
- Football player Daryl Washington pleads not guilty
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington pleads 'not guilty'
- CBSSports.com writer: Cardinals' Cooper to have 'big impact' during rookie season
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals QB Carson Palmer a 'stopgap'
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.