Updated May 31, 2012 - 7:07 pm
Rob Housler hopes to make bigger impact in 2012
Rookies all across the NFL have gotten their first taste of offseason action through OTAs in the month of May. For second-year players like Arizona Cardinals tight end Rob Housler, it's a first time learning experience as well.
Because teams were kept from almost all of their preseason workouts and camps going into 2011 due to the lockout, Housler was without the benefit of a real training camp until now.
"I really wish I would have had this this time last year, but I have it in front of me now, so I'm trying to take advantage of it," Housler told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Thursday.
Housler finished 2011 with 12 catches for 133 yards, but saw limited playing time behind Todd Heap and Jeff King.
Housler admits he didn't realize how much of a toll the NFL season would have on him, and that he hit the ‘rookie wall' about halfway through the season.
"It's extremely demanding on your body, it's really hard to put that into words to any rookie," Housler said. "It's one thing you just have to experience. You have to know how to pace yourself, keep your body healthy and eat, sleep and just live right."
Housler is looking to veterans on the team for lessons, and hopes to make a bigger impact on the 2012 season.
"I'm feeling really good and I'm excited to get training camp started and get more experience before the season starts," Housler said. "I wasn't even a blip on the radar last year, and that's not the kind of player I feel like I am. That's not the kind of player I want to be, I want to be an impact player. I want to go in and make a big difference."
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?