Updated Jun 6, 2012 - 3:18 pm
Patrick Peterson wants to create his own island
Selected number five overall in the 2011 NFL Draft, the former LSU Tiger excelled as a punt returner while having some ups and downs as a cover corner.
He knows that must change, and thinks it will.
"I've been working extremely hard this offseason on getting better on route recognitions, being patient and getting my hands on the receivers," Peterson said after OTAs Wednesday. "I want to get my hands, this year, on more interceptions and just go out there and lock down guys.
"Create my own island."
Peterson is referencing "Revis Island," named for Jets corner Darrelle Revis. The idea is that once a receiver enters the island he never comes back, as few have had success against the Pro Bowl corner.
The Cardinals would certainly like to see Peterson get to that level, or at least somewhere close.
Because at the end of the day, Peterson was drafted to be one of the defense's best players. As a corner that means being matched up against some of the NFL's best receivers.
"It's going to start with me," Peterson said. "If they put me on number one receivers week in and week out, they're targeting their number one guy and they put the number one corner on that receiver."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?