Updated Jun 6, 2012 - 3:18 pm
Patrick Peterson wants to create his own island
Selected number five overall in the 2011 NFL Draft, the former LSU Tiger excelled as a punt returner while having some ups and downs as a cover corner.
He knows that must change, and thinks it will.
"I've been working extremely hard this offseason on getting better on route recognitions, being patient and getting my hands on the receivers," Peterson said after OTAs Wednesday. "I want to get my hands, this year, on more interceptions and just go out there and lock down guys.
"Create my own island."
Peterson is referencing "Revis Island," named for Jets corner Darrelle Revis. The idea is that once a receiver enters the island he never comes back, as few have had success against the Pro Bowl corner.
The Cardinals would certainly like to see Peterson get to that level, or at least somewhere close.
Because at the end of the day, Peterson was drafted to be one of the defense's best players. As a corner that means being matched up against some of the NFL's best receivers.
"It's going to start with me," Peterson said. "If they put me on number one receivers week in and week out, they're targeting their number one guy and they put the number one corner on that receiver."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.