Updated Jun 6, 2012 - 3:18 pm
Patrick Peterson wants to create his own island
Selected number five overall in the 2011 NFL Draft, the former LSU Tiger excelled as a punt returner while having some ups and downs as a cover corner.
He knows that must change, and thinks it will.
"I've been working extremely hard this offseason on getting better on route recognitions, being patient and getting my hands on the receivers," Peterson said after OTAs Wednesday. "I want to get my hands, this year, on more interceptions and just go out there and lock down guys.
"Create my own island."
Peterson is referencing "Revis Island," named for Jets corner Darrelle Revis. The idea is that once a receiver enters the island he never comes back, as few have had success against the Pro Bowl corner.
The Cardinals would certainly like to see Peterson get to that level, or at least somewhere close.
Because at the end of the day, Peterson was drafted to be one of the defense's best players. As a corner that means being matched up against some of the NFL's best receivers.
"It's going to start with me," Peterson said. "If they put me on number one receivers week in and week out, they're targeting their number one guy and they put the number one corner on that receiver."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals wrap up preseason with some telling stats: By The Numbers
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- Cardinals WRs Brown, Golden and Powell fail to make case in final preseason game
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.