Updated Jun 6, 2012 - 3:18 pm
Patrick Peterson wants to create his own island
Selected number five overall in the 2011 NFL Draft, the former LSU Tiger excelled as a punt returner while having some ups and downs as a cover corner.
He knows that must change, and thinks it will.
"I've been working extremely hard this offseason on getting better on route recognitions, being patient and getting my hands on the receivers," Peterson said after OTAs Wednesday. "I want to get my hands, this year, on more interceptions and just go out there and lock down guys.
"Create my own island."
Peterson is referencing "Revis Island," named for Jets corner Darrelle Revis. The idea is that once a receiver enters the island he never comes back, as few have had success against the Pro Bowl corner.
The Cardinals would certainly like to see Peterson get to that level, or at least somewhere close.
Because at the end of the day, Peterson was drafted to be one of the defense's best players. As a corner that means being matched up against some of the NFL's best receivers.
"It's going to start with me," Peterson said. "If they put me on number one receivers week in and week out, they're targeting their number one guy and they put the number one corner on that receiver."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?