Patrick Peterson wants to create his own island
Selected number five overall in the 2011 NFL Draft, the former LSU Tiger excelled as a punt returner while having some ups and downs as a cover corner.
He knows that must change, and thinks it will.
"I've been working extremely hard this offseason on getting better on route recognitions, being patient and getting my hands on the receivers," Peterson said after OTAs Wednesday. "I want to get my hands, this year, on more interceptions and just go out there and lock down guys.
"Create my own island."
Peterson is referencing "Revis Island," named for Jets corner Darrelle Revis. The idea is that once a receiver enters the island he never comes back, as few have had success against the Pro Bowl corner.
The Cardinals would certainly like to see Peterson get to that level, or at least somewhere close.
Because at the end of the day, Peterson was drafted to be one of the defense's best players. As a corner that means being matched up against some of the NFL's best receivers.
"It's going to start with me," Peterson said. "If they put me on number one receivers week in and week out, they're targeting their number one guy and they put the number one corner on that receiver."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.