Updated Jun 13, 2012 - 12:41 pm
Cardinals QB battle on national radar
The two are expected to continue their competition for the team's starting QB role all through training camp, with neither supposedly having an edge as of now.
It's a situation worth keeping an eye on, that's for sure, and as Bill Barnwell of Grantland.com puts it, the Arizona job is fifth on the list of The Top Battles to Be QB1.
Once the Cardinals financially committed to keeping Kevin Kolb on the roster this year, the issue of actually playing him became a sunk cost. At this point, they need to just play whichever quarterback actually looks best in camp. That should favor Kolb, who looks like a legitimate NFL starter when there's a half-speed pass rush bearing down on him, but he'll also have to stay healthy for the next three months to ensure that he lines up in September. Health might be John Skelton's biggest asset in this competition.
While the Cardinals may say otherwise, most feel it is Kolb's job to lose. The team is heavily invested in the former Eagle, and must figure out if he's capable of leading this team back to the postseason.
Unfortunately, there's a good chance we won't know anything until the games start. Kolb looked good in camp last year, too, and the comment Barnwell makes of "when there's a half-speed pass rush bearing down on him" is legit.
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Kolb was sacked on 30 of 115 drop backs last season, a percentage that was second-worst in the NFL.
However, they note, he had the 11th-best TD:INT ratio when pressured and the 10th-best completion percentage, signifying that when he was actually able to get rid of the ball good things tended to happen.
Of course, the biggest thing that could potentially hold Kolb back are injuries. He played in just nine games (finishing eight) last season, missing time due to turf toe and a concussion.
But the hope is those issues are in the past. The Cardinals do not need to name a starter until September 7, giving Coach Whisenhunt and staff plenty of time to make a decision.
Will it be Kolb? How about Skelton? Arizona is waiting for an answer and, apparently, we're not alone.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?