Arizona Cardinals not giving up on running game
It's no secret how troubling the Arizona Cardinals running game has been thus far this season.
Despite the Cardinals surprising 4-0 start to the year, the team's backs have failed to generate much offense on the ground.
Quarterback Kevin Kolb made it clear the Cardinals are going to need more consistency and production out of their rushing attack later in the season if the team is going to remain successful.
"It's a big point of emphasis for us and we know that we're going to have to have it especially come later on in the season," Kolb explained. "That's a big part of the game as people start to get banged up and we get later on in the cold weather months."
While the Cardinals offense collectively has yet to hit its stride this season, the team's lackluster running game has been most cause for concern.
Arizona rushed for a mere 28 yards on 15 attempts against the Miami Dolphins Sunday.
"It's something that we're paying a lot of attention to and working hard at," Kolb said. "We need to have it transfer on to the field."
The Cardinals had high expectations for their running game entering the season with Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams leading the way.
But the team has since lost Wells to a turf toe injury that will keep him sidelined for an extended period of time and are now forced to rely on the inexperienced, second-year Williams for the majority of carries.
Arizona is gaining 2.7 yards per attempt on the season, second-worst in the NFL.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt refuses to make excuses and insists his backs will keep working at it until they get it right.
"We got to get better. We're trying to work on that and hopefully we'll show some improvement.
"It really doesn't matter what it is. We're not getting it done and so that's an area we need to improve on and we're going to work to try to do that," Whisenhunt said.
- Bruce Arians and Charles Barkley in agreement on gay athlete issue
- Tyrann Mathieu making 'believers'
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals 26th in future power rankings
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br