Updated Oct 2, 2012 - 7:53 pm
Arizona Cardinals not giving up on running game
It's no secret how troubling the Arizona Cardinals running game has been thus far this season.
Despite the Cardinals surprising 4-0 start to the year, the team's backs have failed to generate much offense on the ground.
Quarterback Kevin Kolb made it clear the Cardinals are going to need more consistency and production out of their rushing attack later in the season if the team is going to remain successful.
"It's a big point of emphasis for us and we know that we're going to have to have it especially come later on in the season," Kolb explained. "That's a big part of the game as people start to get banged up and we get later on in the cold weather months."
While the Cardinals offense collectively has yet to hit its stride this season, the team's lackluster running game has been most cause for concern.
Arizona rushed for a mere 28 yards on 15 attempts against the Miami Dolphins Sunday.
"It's something that we're paying a lot of attention to and working hard at," Kolb said. "We need to have it transfer on to the field."
The Cardinals had high expectations for their running game entering the season with Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams leading the way.
But the team has since lost Wells to a turf toe injury that will keep him sidelined for an extended period of time and are now forced to rely on the inexperienced, second-year Williams for the majority of carries.
Arizona is gaining 2.7 yards per attempt on the season, second-worst in the NFL.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt refuses to make excuses and insists his backs will keep working at it until they get it right.
"We got to get better. We're trying to work on that and hopefully we'll show some improvement.
"It really doesn't matter what it is. We're not getting it done and so that's an area we need to improve on and we're going to work to try to do that," Whisenhunt said.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.