Updated Nov 4, 2012 - 3:25 pm
Crabtree's catch, dropped passes hand Cardinals' their fifth straight loss
After putting together two scoring drives to whittle the Packers' double-digit lead down to just seven, it looked like Arizona still had a chance to pull off the road upset over the final 15 minutes of play.
But backup tight end Tom Crabtree and Aaron Rodgers had other ideas.
On the final play of the third quarter, Crabtree managed to somehow run his route well beyond Arizona's coverage. Rodgers promptly found him over the middle, and the third-year veteran quickly raced 72 yards towards the end zone to put the Packers on top 31-17.
The Cardinals still had 15 minutes on the clock to make a game of it, but the 72-yard touchdown pass virtually ended any threat of a comeback.
"You just can't let that happen," head coach Ken Whisenhunt said following the 31-17 loss. "We fought to get back in the game, and we had a little bit of momentum. In one play they go down the field and it makes it tough."
In addition to the big play given up by the defense, the offense didn't do John Skelton any favors on Sunday.
Despite being sacked only twice by Green Bay, Skelton was just 23-of-46, in large part due to six big drops by his receivers.
"It's very disappointing," said Whisenhunt of the drops. "It's very infuriating, because we had opportunities to keep drives alive. You can't do that, not on the road against a team like this. You've got to make those plays, and there is no excuse for it."
Arizona has plenty of time to work on fundamentals this week. The Cardinals head into their bye week, before going to Atlanta on Nov. 18 to face the undefeated Falcons.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!